DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION AND OUTREACH
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full time, exempt
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUPERVISES: Education/Outreach volunteers
The Director of Education and Outreach is responsible for administrating a multi-faceted program to achieve KPC’s audience education and development, patron enrichment, and community engagement goals. Education Program activities seek to encourage creativity, enable a deeper appreciation of all forms of creative expression, and eliminate barriers between artists and audiences. Outreach activities seek to amplify KPC’s impact by connecting under-served communities to professional touring artists and working to overcome barriers of arts participation in target communities. The ideal candidate will possess arts specific education experience, a deep respect for diverse perspectives and cultures, and a proven ability to bridge social divides through art.
Kirkland Performance Center is East King County’s premiere venue for the performing arts. Each year more than 65,000 patrons come to Kirkland Performance Center for performances and presentations of nationally and internationally recognized work in music, dance, theatre, film and other art forms. KPC is committed to ensuring individuals and families living and working in King County and the greater Puget Sound have access to unique, memorable and enriching performing arts experiences.
- Develop and coordinate all aspects of KPC education programs, including pre- and post-show lectures, matinees for K-12 students and appearances by KPC Presented Artists at schools and community organizations.
- Identification of and outreach to families, educators, administrators, and community groups, with an emphasis on reaching diverse audiences, to promote Spotlight programs
- Coordinate KPC staff and participating artists to ensure mutual understanding and professional implementation of Spotlight programs and events
- Manage education department budget, set audience participation goals and provide qualitative and quantitative program evaluation.
- Maintain participant data, conduct regular analysis and provide regular reports to Executive Director and KPC Board of Directors.
- Collaboration with Development Department as needed for funder proposals and reports.
- Develop teaching materials in conjunction with educators, artists and speakers, and ensure program quality consistent with national standards and best practices, as well as community need.
- Serve as KPC point of contact for Spotlight programs for media, educators and the general public. Assists the marketing and public relations department in the development of any promotional materials related to education and outreach concerts, writes press releases, contributes to in-house publications and social media; provides narrative about education programs for KPC website at www.kpcenter.org
- Oversees continued implementation of educational aspects of KPC strategic plan and participates in strategic planning, organizational development, and community engagement strategies.
- Partner with staff on tracking ongoing demographic and cultural trends and changes on the Eastside and within the larger Puget Sound region.
- Recruit and supervise volunteers to implement programs.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- B.A. in related field
- Previous arts education experience, music and K-12 preferred
- Working knowledge of the Puget Sound performing arts community
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a collaborative working style
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to balance competing priorities effectively within time constraints
- Excellent communicator in both written and verbal mediums.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter describing qualifications, resume and references to: via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or via postal mail: Director of Education and Outreach Search, Kirkland Performance Center, 350 Kirkland Avenue, Kirkland, Washington 98033. No phone calls please.
Kirkland Performance Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Kirkland Performance Center could not function without the invaluable help of our volunteers! Volunteer opportunities are available in a number of areas including:
FRONT OF HOUSE: (mainly evenings and weekends) Ushering, Concessions, Merchandise Sales. For front of House Volunteering please call 425.828.0422 x 229 or email Michelle Larson.
DATA ENTRY: Do you like zoning out with some data entry? Are you pretty good with Excel? We need a hand transcribing a whole lot of information! Listen to all the music you want - you can even explore some new CDs from our giant collection! Please call or email Wes Andrews, Education Director, at 425.828.0422 x 241 or email@example.com.
Kirkland Performance Center has on-going opportunities for internships to aid in professional/career development in non-profit/theatre organizations.
General Guidelines for KPC Internships:
- Time commitment for an internship is minimum of 10 hours per week and maximum of 30 hours per week. Office hours are M - F 9 am to 5 pm.
- Duration of an internship is 3 months to 9 months.
- Interns will have a designated supervisor, and will be expected to communicate schedule, etc. to that supervisor.
- Interns will be expected to create a paper trail / electronic records of their work, so that the work may be continued following their departure.
- Should someone wish to discontinue an internship, a minimum of one week notice is expected.
- All interns will be expected to assist with general daily administrative duties including answering office phones, assisting office visitors, etc.
Finance and Board Development
This intern will provide strategic financial analysis and decision support to KPC’s Managing Director, Executive Director and Board of Directors. From budget variance analysis to helping create presentations for Board meetings, this position is a hands-on, high profile opportunity to learn the inner workings of nonprofit finance and board development
Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel is required. Additional training will be provided on-site.
- Help create reports and presentations for meetings of KPC's Board of Directors and subsidiary committees
- Manage board communications including meeting reminders, meeting follow-up e-mails, special board appeals and campaign tracking
- Assist in board development by tracking prospects, board engagement metrics and following up with specific board members and projects.
- Perform actual vs. budget analysis, business modeling and analysis-based decision support to executive staff and program managers
- Maintain and improve dashboard reports to summarize complex financial reports into digestible and actionable metrics.
- Assist in preparing organizational financial reports, forecasts, and program reports
- Provide administrative support for the accounting and finance function, including AP / AR management, audit preparation, month and quarter close, and cash flow forecasting.
Marketing and Development
This intern will split time between KPC's Marketing and Development Departments. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in the face of shifting deadlines.
Please submit a professional writing sample with your application. If applicable, please also submit a graphic design work sample or link to portfolio.
- Build further develop KPC’s organizational relationships with promotional partners to identify, quantify and reach effectively into niche markets of music listeners and arts patrons
- Lead KPC’s outreach efforts for large public events, e.g. corporate charity fairs, outdoor markets, music festivals, etc.
- Administer and help analyze KPC’s market research projects including post-show patron surveys, ad-hoc customer surveys, secondary source research, and general competitive analysis / business environment monitoring.
- Contribute to the copywriting and editing process for promotion of KPC’s presented shows in print, electronic, and radio mediums.
- Coordinate KPC’s donor relationship management activities including handling donor correspondence, donor database management, prospect research, and gift tracking
- Provide event support at KPC's Annual Gala and Auction and other special events like the Season Premiere Party, the Major Donor Garden Party, and post-show Meet-the-Artist Sponsor Receptions
- Copywriting and proofreading for donor appeals, website copy, and other development text in show programs, the season brochure, etc.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Wes Andrews, Education Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.